A guide for parents of eight to thirteen-year-olds.
How to understand, support and guide your child through the tween years (8-13)
BETWEEN is a modern guide for parents of 8-13 year-olds – also known as ‘tweenagers’. Parenting expert and mother of four Sarah Ockwell-Smith will consider all the issues faced by parents and tweens today, with a focus on the biology, neurology, psychology and sociology of adolescence as well as plenty of practical parenting advice for common everyday situations.
The book will cover:
- How a child’s brain and body develops in this age range and how this impacts their behaviour
- How your relationship with your child changes as they grow up – your new place as a parent
- Revisiting your own tween and teen years – why it’s important to remove triggers and unhelpful inherited beliefs from your own upbringing
- Coping with common tween behaviour: disrespect, rudeness, backchat, swearing, sulks, defiance, laziness, anger and violence
- Speaking to your child about sex and relationships (including LGBTQ+ issues and body autonomy)
- Speaking to your child about racism, sexism and homophobia/transphobia
- Speaking to your child about diet, body care and body positivity
- Screen time and social media usage – how their online life impacts children today
- Sleep – how much tweens need, why most don’t get enough and how to get them to have more
- Issues at school – including motivation, revision, homework, coping with workload, school related anxiety